Villa_Rueckseite_sh.jpg
de gb

Villa Brahms

A Representative Home for Brahms

Villa Brahms is located just a few minutes by foot from Lübeck’s Burgtor (near Travemünder Allee). The country estate, built around 1800 by important architect Christian Frederik Hansen, is the former home of Musikhochschule Lübeck. Once the summer residence of a Lübeck merchant, it is one of the most outstanding examples of north German-Danish classicism.

After a fire in September 1998, Villa Brahms was restored as a heritage site and reopened in the summer of 2002. With its historical décor, it reflects the upper class style of living during the early nineteenth century. In 1886, the home was purchased by Senator Johann Hermann Eschenburg (1844 – 1920), after whom the surrounding park is named.

The stylish concert room serves as an appropriate setting for musical events, subject evenings, lectures, and presentations. The historic garden hall is used as a museum featuring temporary exhibitions on the life and work of Johannes Brahms.

Through the close links between the Brahms-Institut and Musikhochschule Lübeck in the same building, the fruitful exchange between music research and musical practice has further intensified. The dialogue between research and practice is an important characteristic of the institution.

Impressions
^