A Representative Home for Brahms
Villa Brahms is located just a few minutes by foot from Lübeck’s Burgtor (near Travemünder Allee). The country home, built around 1800 by important architect Christian Frederik Hansen, is the former home of Musikhochschule Lübeck. Once the summer home of a Lübeck merchant, it is one of the most outstanding examples of northern German-Danish classicism.
After a fire in September 1998, Villa Brahms was restored as a heritage site and reopened in the summer of 2002. With its historical furnishings, it reflects the posh style of living during the early 19th century. In 1886, the home was purchased by Senator Johann Hermann Eschenburg, after whom the house and surrounding park are named today.
The stylish hall serves as an appropriate setting for concerts, subject evenings, lectures, and presentations. The historic Gartensaal is used as a museum featuring temporary exhibitions on the life and work of Johannes Brahms.
Through the close links between the Brahms-Institut and Musikhochschule Lübeck located in the same building, the fruitful exchange between music research and musical practice has further intensified. The dialogue between research and practice is an important characteristic of the institution.
Impressions of the